Thursday 23 April 2015

A Snapshot of the Mind. Essay on mental health, photography and the work of Daniel Regan

23/04/15
A Snapshot of the Mind
Essay on mental health, photography and the work of Daniel Regan

Living with mental health issues is not easy. First, there is the struggle with the issues themselves, then there is the stigma attached. Society, in its general ignorance, has a fear of certain diagnoses – certain labels – and, as a result, many of us hide our struggles in shame. Feeling alone, feeling isolated, feeling like no one else could ever possibly feel – or do – as you do, let alone understand, is shaming – and shame is nothing if not self-perpetuating.



Recently, with the opening of the newly renovated Bethlem Gallery, I saw some work which shook me – shook me in a positive way – because, in it, I recognised my own behaviours, my own coping (or non-coping) mechanisms, my own shame. The relief of such cataclysmic moments, when, through looking at art, I am reminded that, actually, I am not alone, is always immense. Since this day, a few weeks back, I have been looking around for more artists whose work touches upon mental health and I was happily reminded of photographer Daniel Regan, whom I first met just over a year ago. Looking at Daniel’s work – as I have been in earnest this past week – has opened more doors to self-recognition, to feeling less alone, to a sense of hope, and to a pride – a pride in Daniel for being ‘one of us’ who is willing to speak out, to reach out, and, who, by empowering himself, empowers other people.


This essay was commissioned by Photoworks as part of their What Are You Looking At? ideas series.
To read the rest of this essay, please go to: http://photoworks.org.uk/snapshot-of-the-mind/

Image:
Daniel Regan
Shell
2012





No comments:

Post a Comment